"yum install kmod-foo" installing wrong versions - problem with kmodtool?

Chris Nolan chris at cenolan.com
Mon Sep 21 21:18:43 CEST 2009

Just a heads up: there has been a lot of user reports of problems
recently with all kmods from rpmfusion.

I haven't quite got to the bottom of it, but essentially it seems that
if you're running the i686 kernel (which is now PAE only) and you
install a kmod as usual with "yum install kmod-foo", then it will pull
in the i586 version of the kmod instead of the correct i686 PAE version.

The solution/workaround seems to be to remove the i586 kernel and kmod,
then you must do "yum install kmod-foo-PAE" specifically. This is
causing quite a lot of confusion, and for the sake of our users I think
it would be nice if we could fix this so that a "yum install kmod-foo"
will install the correct kmod (as it used to I believe).

Is this something that can be fixed in the kmodtool, or do us kmod
maintainers need to fix something in the spec files?

Some examples of the problem:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1267204&postcount=3

Chris