32bit applications with a 64bit NVidia driver.

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 10:23:16 CEST 2010

I'm looking for some info to determine what's going on here, whether
it's PEBCAK, or maybe some packaging bug, or just an unsupported
setup.

Basically, I have some 32bit binaries that I'd like to run in a 64bit
installation; these binaries (qt based) use OpenGL via some
OpenSceneGraph widget. The machine has NVidia drivers installed.

At application startup I've got this message in the console:
QGLContext::makeCurrent(): Cannot make invalid context current.
and all OpenGL based widgets do not show up.

Now, at this point I realized I did not install the 32bit
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs, but after installation it made no
difference; however I also discovered everything start working as
expected if I set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/nvidia
so it looks like the dynamic linker is not picking up correctly the
32bit libs in a 64bit environment.

So, if you're still reading this, do you think we can fix the issue or
is it something out of the packaging scope?

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianlucasforna