RHEL 6 Beta

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Apr 23 21:08:27 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/4/23 Jack Neely <jjneely at ncsu.edu>:
>> Folks,
>>
>> The RHEL 6 Beta is out and I'm interested in rpmfusion support for RHEL
>> 6.  Sounds like EPEL will be branching in a week or two.  I'd like to
>> put some work into making this happen.
>>
>> I guess the first step is to get RHEL6 Beta1 on more mirrors so that we
>> can have easy access to the Yum repos.
> I would be interested in creating an el-6 branch right now also.
> But because anything above ffmpeg in F-13 is doomed because of
> http://www.videolan.org/security/sa1003.html
> I would branch some packages from F-13 tree. (and vlc from F-14).
>
> That been said most packages should be branched from F-12, so the question is:
> How much of the current RPM Fusion packages maintainer do want to
> support their package in EL-6 also ?

I'm definitely planning to support mythtv on EL6.

> ps: that been said, I cannot expect anything in el-? branches before
> we solve two questions:
> How to move to our own hosted koji build server infra ?

Looks like that's a work in progress... Xavier said something about my
builder also being a koji builder now, and the volume previously
mounted at /var/lib/mock is now mouted at /srv/koji...

> how to deal with kernel module in the EL world (where a stable kABI is
> the rule).

There's a kmodtool (variant? fork? switch?) for this, which uses kabi
symbol checksums for rpm deps, which Red Hat has used itself for
things like the kvm driver kmod packages for RHEL5. Build using that,
and a given driver *should* Just Work for all subsequent kernels
unless a symbol used changes (and assuming you use nothing but
whitelisted symbols, they shouldn't change).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com