RHEL 6 Beta

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Apr 26 20:19:30 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Jack Neely <jjneely at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 10:57:54PM +0200, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:

>> > I've been using the kmod standards as rpmfusion knows and loves with
>> > RHEL5 since it was released.  It works very well there.  I don't see
>> > this one as a blocker.
>> Which ones are you talking about?  kmod1 or kmod2 standard ? And which
>> one supports kABI if any ?
>> The point is: I'm not aware rpmfusion ever did kABI the way it's
>> currently done with Red Hat.
>>
>> Of course that's not about a blocker, but a decision to be made along
>> with a team to be in charge to maintain.
>>
>> Nicolas (kwizart)
>>

> I've used both kmodv1 and v2.  However neither support the kABI
> packaging model.

Red Hat has a version of kmodtool that does, and so far as I know, is
willing to share.

> Being that we have limited resources and we have a model for maintaining
> kernel modules that works with Fedora, we should use that same model
> with RHEL6 unless there is some incompatibility.
>
> By the way...we are the "team."  :-)  I just don't think RHEL6 is
> different enough to re-engineer our processes for it.

Thing is... You build the kmod *once* if done w/the kmodtool that
support symbol versions as rpm deps, and never have to rebuild it for
a newer kernel version, so long as those symbols remain unchanged. Not
taking advantage of that means doing lots of pointless rebuilds.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com