Is there any plan to split ffmpeg into ffmpeg(without patent issue) and ffmeeg-freeworld?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Tue Apr 27 01:27:54 CEST 2010

On Monday, 26 April 2010 at 06:39, Chen Lei wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Debian guys already split ffmepg into two parts and ship them separately
> in debian and debian-multimedia. And I realized that RHEL5 also have
> a stripped patent-free qffmpeg package.
> See http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/qffmpeg-0.4.9-0.15.20080908.el5.src.rpm
> Could we also split it for fedora and rpmfusion? I think it'll benefit
> fedora a lot.

Interesting, but I see the only codec it has is mjpeg. Everything else is
disabled and removed from the source tarball. I don't think it's useful
for much, but feel free to try to convince me otherwise.

You could start with providing a list of applications that could go into
Fedora with a dependency on a stripped-down ffmpeg package and a list
of codecs that we would need to have in such package for it to be usable
with these applications.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."