Heavily reducing my involvement in RPM Fusion

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Feb 2 22:01:48 CET 2010

Hi!

I have not been very active in RPM Fusion (or Fedora) lately. Partly
that's because my day job and private life consume more time than
two or three years ago (and it'll get worse over the coming months, as
as I have to move to a new apartment in March/April). Another reason:
Working on RPM Fusion stuff isn't as much fun for me as it used to be --
it instead way to often feels like a (heavy) burden. That has multiple
reasons -- some (not all!) of them lie in RPM Fusion and its packages,
but I don't have enought energy to work on fixing those issues (sorry!).

I would have preferred to slowly and mostly unnoticeable reduce my
involvement, but I guess that wouldn't be ideal for the project as a
whole, as I have some crucial positions and people counting/relying on
me and the work I do/did in the past (which in the past few months I
didn't do as good as I would have liked; I apologize for that). That's
why I try to make it really obvious with this mail that I'm heavily
reducing my involvement from now on. Think of it a bit like "Thorsten
will be leaving us by start of the summer (to be clear: summer in the
northern hemisphere of 2010 ;-) ) and he only does those things from now
on that he really has to do to keep RPM Fusion running, as there is no
replacement (yet)".

No, I don't think I'll leave completely, but it might be best for
everyone if it feels a bit like that, to make sure people that take over
my work can be found early enough.

That means that I'll from now on will focus on "pushing packages", "do
the kmod rebuilds for new kernels" and "keep the packages I own working,
but with the least amount of work possible" (e.g.: updates, but no big
improvements to things like the kmod infra) for now.

In other words, I won't do the following things anymore if there isn't a
strong reason for me to do them

- - actively watch bugzilla and mailing lists for bigger problems in the
repos that bug lot's of people
- - CVS requests
- - buildsys issues
- - try to make sure every mail on the RPM Fusion lists get's answered
sooner or later (have been doing that in the early day, but failed to do
that for some time now)
- - help to make the project grow -- solve problem packagers have, bring
people together, help getting stalled reviews running again and things
like that
- - a lot of other things my mind doesn't come up with right now

Read the above "I won't do the following things anymore if there isn't a
strong reason for me to do them " as in: I'll nevertheless do some of
the work (like kicking the builders or preparing the repos for F13) if
no one else is able to do when needed -- but I can't do that forever, so
the RPM Fusion contributors really should try to find people that can
take care of things, as I sooner or later might completely stop doing
that work to finally get it rid of my back ;-)

But I'll of course stick around and will help with answering questions
when needed, as I still want RPM Fusion to live on and grow. In fact I
sooner or later might get involved more deeply again or do new things in
Fedora or RPM Fusion if I feel like it (in fact there is a idea that I'd
really like to realize sooner or later in a repo which could live under
the hood of RPM Fusion if that's wanted by the project leaders then);
time will tell.

That's all for now! I hope I didn't forget anything important...

Cu
knurd

P.S.: There are still a few mail on this list I would like to answer;
I'll hope to find time for that over the next few days