libbluray / libaacs / libbdplus

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 16:09:33 CEST 2010

2010/7/9 Xavier Bachelot <xavier at bachelot.org>:
> Hi,
>
> libbluray is a library to access Blu-Ray disks for video playback. It is
> licensed under the LGPL and as such should be fine for Fedora.
>
> http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html
>
> However, this will only work with blurays not protected with either AACS
> or BD+.

Hopefully, none of them are really required for daily use, because
almost *all* HD-Video rips, available via torrent-trackers are already
w/o encryption. So you need these libraries only if you're stupid
enough to buy original licensed Blu-Ray disks. The same applies for
DVDs.

Keeping in mind that if you will buy original disk, then you will
directly sponsor MPAA trials against file-sharers, I believe that this
is socially unacceptable behavior we mustn't encourage (people should
download unencrypted images instead).

So my opinion is that we should allow libbluray and reject the rest.
--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.