Non-commercial redistributable game data

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Mon May 17 16:34:31 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 15:36 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> My point is a bit different: I consider this mechanism to be a way to
> *circumvent* rpm as means of packaging and it to be a way of encourage
> *sloppyness*, *lazyness* and *carelessness*, which endangers Fedora's users.
>
> If FESCO has a little understanding, they would have noticed that
> "mechanically packaging" game data into rpms and to ship them via  repos
> is trivial. There is no need to add another mechanism for shipping
> packages and to endanger users from the security risks this comes
> attached with.
>
> Or differently: One fundamental key of rpm-based distros safety and
> consistency has been not to allowing other means of installation.

Ralf, I think we all agree with the fact that it is optimal to install
game data as an rpm.  The problem is that, for any game that uses
autodownloader, the data *cannot* be packaged in Fedora because of
license reasons.

Currently the only way to get the data is using autodownloader.  My
proposal (which has been welcomed by the autodownloader maintainer) is
to expand that by getting the Fedora packages to recognize game data
installed from RPM Fusion rpms.

Jonathan