OpenAFS for Fedora 13

Daniel Scott djscott at mit.edu
Fri May 28 19:18:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

As far as I know, these are the main differences between AFS and NFS:

NFS has little/no security (Although I think V4 does?). AFS integrates
with Kerberos (And hopefully soon with LDAP) so works well with
centralised user management.
AFS allows for multiple redundant servers and filesystem snapshots
which makes it more reliable.
As you say, it is distributed. You can share your files with the whole
world or no-one.
AFS has a very good caching mechanism.
AFS has ACLs, more fine-grained than Unix file permissions.

That's all I can think of at the moment. :) Some of these features
might well be present in the latest versions of NFS.

Dan