How to make nvidia-kmod source package build an akmod package

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:04:42 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com> wrote:
> I plan to update the new 270 driver into f14 soon, so you will not
> have to use akmod.

I have to have the kernel headers and devel packages anyway for
VirtualBox so I don't mind using the akmod package, plus it builds on
reboot which is nice. I've noticed that I don't get the updated kmod
package until I run yum update a second time.

> I still wonder to introduce it as another branch (xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-newest).
> But the improvement of the 270 worth for f14 so it might be better to
> "cut" the branch for a later version.

Not that there's any formal convention but I think "latest" would be
more appropriate, as it's more more frequently used when discussing
technology/software/drivers, etc[1].

Another option that would be more consistent would be to use the same
naming convention as the legacy drivers: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-270xx

I guess the only problem with that approach is that if 270 becomes the
"stable" release then you'd have to obsolete the 270xx packages
because the "latest" would be 280xx...

Anyway, just thinking out loud...

Richard

[1] http://www.thefreedictionary.com/latest