Attempting to update omnibook, omnibook-kmod, and akmod-omnibook

Ryan Martin kynalvarus at gmail.com
Sun May 22 18:39:26 CEST 2011

Greetings! My name is Ryan Martin, and I've been an OSS developer and
part-time sysadmin for about 10 years. My strongest skills are in
Perl, database, and web development, but I'm something of a
jack-of-all-trades, preferring to figure things out and make them work
rather than wait for someone "more qualified" to get around to it.
I've been using RedHat/Fedora/CentOS as my development workstation and
server OS of choice since 2005.

Recently, I was able to fix a bug in the Omnibook support package, a
somewhat abandoned set of drivers for certain laptop-specific
functions of many HP and Toshiba laptops.
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3157406&group_id=174260&atid=868544)

I've got the source on my laptop and I can manually build a new kmod
each time I upgrade my Fedora kernel. However, this is time-consuming,
and potentially leaves me with an unbootable kernel if I forget to
build the new kmod after installation but before rebooting. What I'd
really like is for the upstream patches to be included in the RPM
Fusion kmod and akmod packages going forward.

I've been going through the process of joining RPM Fusion in order to
update these packages, but I've hit a bit of a deadlock. According to
the contributors page, in order to get sponsored and get CVS access to
RPM Fusion, I'm supposed to submit a package for review. However,
rather than reinvent the akmod and kmod spec file from scratch, I'd
like to update the exising ones. It seems that without getting
sponsored, I cannot get the ssh access to cvs.rpmfusion.org that would
allow me to check out and review the work that's already been done.

How can I get access to the spec files for the above packages, so that
I can create packages for review?

Best regards,
Ryan Martin