Mythtv for EL6?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 19:45:05 CET 2011

I'm working on getting MythTV packages built for EL6 and wanted to
share my plan in case someone has a better idea.

I did finally get a local build but I had to rebuild several packages
that are not available in EPEL yet:

Missing dependencies for MythTV on EPEL 6.
---
lirc
libfame
mjpegtools
	-> libquicktime
		-> ffmpeg
			-> libvpx
			-> x264
	-> mplayer/mencoder (runtime)
		-> em8300
		-> libass
		-> twolame
	-> y4mscaler (runtime)
		-> mjpegtools-devel
			-> mjpegtools-libs
transcode
	-> pvm
	-> libmpeg3
	-> v4l (too old)
libcrystalhd (disabled due to below)
	-> gstreamer
		-> gobject-introspection (needs glib2 > 2.24, EL6 has 2.22.5)
			-> cairo

My plan is to submit bugs to the appropriate bugzilla's for each
package and ask the current maintainer to create an EL6 branch and
offer to co-maintain it. I will also offer to maintain the EL6 branch
if necessary but I'd rather have the original maintainer keep things
up to date.

The good news is that all the packages rebuilt without modification so
there should be minimal work on the maintainers end.

Sound like a plan?

Thanks,
Richard