ffmpeg in EL6?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Wed Oct 5 23:23:23 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, 04 October 2011 at 16:32, Karel Volný wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just a question ... are we going to see ffmpeg also for RHEL6 in
> a not-so-far future?

Co-maintainers are welcome. :) For multimedia, Fedora is a priority for me,
and I don't have too much free time.

One issue with EL6 is the ancient version of libvpx (0.9.0).
FFmpeg requires 0.9.1 for decoding and 0.9.6 for encoding.
I'm told that reencoding to WebM is a common use-case for FFmpeg,
so it'd pain me to release a crippled FFmpeg package.

Having said that, I remember some serious bugs in libvpx-0.9.0,
so patching FFmpeg to work with 0.9.0 might be counter-productive.

I can't promise any deadlines, but I'll see what I can do about
bringing FFmpeg to EL6 branch.

Regards,
Dominik
"Faith manages."