open build service builds rpmfusion

Damian Ivanov damianatorrpm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 14:50:27 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I am one of the maintainers of the unity desktop port to Fedora. Also
I have lots of other packages for Fedora that are not in Fedora nor in
RPMfusion.
See https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?project=home%3Adamianator%3Afedora

A bunch of packages that is on RPMfusion's wishlist is already
packaged especially for Fedora using OBS!  e.g see:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?project=home%3AKenzy%3Apackages

So why am I telling you this? It would be quite easy now to make all
rpmfusion packages to be build using the open build service.
The only requirement would be a separate from OBS instance from
build.opensuse.org

1) The OBS server is ported to Fedora/CentOS so it should be possible
to run the server natively with Fedora.
    see: http://www.martin-juhl.dk/2012/04/cbs-ready/

2) Building against rawhide/fedora updates etc. is no problem when
having your own instance of OBS
    see: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_adding_build_targets

3) There are lots of good reasons to switch to OBS (Fedora won't do
this anytime soon, that would be a red hat decision)
   - koji has no web interface ( lots of ppl including me do lot of
the spec file editing, patching etc.
     using the web interface from windows (e.g from work PC / mobile platforms)
   - In OBS it's very easy to fix a package for everyone, if you have
an account at the OBS server, just branch it, fix it, submit it (and
wait for approval)
   - I will maintain all my package using OBS at rpmfusion OBS
instance, and we might move unity build there too
   - Package that are on build.opensuse.org can be linked to, inter
instance linking, copying, aggregating (with enough user permission)
is no problem

4)  If you consider doing the move I would assist you where I can to
move to OBS. I am sure other people would join, I would ask the guys
who
    are packaging Fedora packages on OBS. I am quite sure that I could
convince also a few other peoples, which I will not name them now
directly

5) Lots of people would love to see it. You will have more people
ensuring better quality of the packages and interested in packaging
the left stuff on the
    wishlist (including myself)

Cheers,
Damian