libspotify in non-free?

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at lesbg.com
Wed Jan 4 14:10:22 CET 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 13:42 +0100, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> 2012/1/4 Jonathan Dieter <jdieter at lesbg.com>:
> >> For those of us not in the know: What is the URL to point to some info
> >> about the software ?
> >
> > Sorry, here it is:
> > http://developer.spotify.com/en/libspotify/overview/
>
> Hello,
>
> It might be redistributable but then for which usage ?
> Do you know a package that will use this library and at the same time,
> don't plan to embed the exact libspotify version they will use to
> instead, rely on a system library ?
>
> Also, I'm not sure about what the application key is for ?

I'm looking at mopidy (http://www.mopidy.com) which is a MPD server that
uses Spotify as it's music source.  It doesn't come with libspotify
bundled, and I've put together packages for it, pyspotify, libspotify
and pykka.  AFAIC, whatever application key is needed is embedded in
mopidy.  FWIW, Mopidy, pyspotify and pykka are all licensed under ASL
2.0.

And, if it's not obvious in the reading, you do need a Spotify Premium
Account to use mopidy (or any application that uses libspotify).

Jonathan