USBIP in kmod-staging

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 14:57:44 CEST 2012

I've been looking at what it will take to get the USBIP kernel modules
into kmod-staging, and it's just a added line.  However, the official
source of the USBIP userspace is also in linux-staging.

To me, it seems like it would make more sense to split the userspace
into a separate package as it doesn't need to track the kernel module,
and it sure doesn't make sense to update it every time we push a new
kernel!

SUSE has just grabbed the source for the userspace from kernel git (see
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=usbip.spec&package=usbip&project=network, line 36), and I'm tempted to follow their example.

Does anyone have an opinion one way or another?  If not, I'll open a bug
report asking kmod-staging to build the kernel modules and a review
request for the userspace.

Jonathan