[RPM Fusion] Issue with fedora's openssl package for libbluray/libaacs

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jun 15 02:55:19 CEST 2012

I wrote:
> They all have the same limitation (except in a few cases where upstream
> renamed ALL the symbols of the library exactly to prevent that): They
> CANNOT be directly or indirectly linked into one and the same executable.
> E.g. it is NOT possible to use anything GTK+ 2 in a GTK+ 3 application.
> Where this restriction was disobeyed, compatibility libraries HAVE lead to
> symbol conflicts, e.g. this has been a problem very recently with Berkeley
> db. (Unfortunately, I don't have the bug ID handy.) This is also one of
> the reasons why compatibility libraries are discouraged in Fedora and only
> to be used as a last resort, if porting the applications is impossible in
> a reasonable timeframe.

PS: Another example of a symbol conflict:
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi/2011/10/08#llvm

The issue there turned out to be that Gallium and OpenGTL both statically
linked LLVM, and were both linked into Krita. The fix was to make both
Gallium and OpenGTL link the shared system LLVM library. Only after BOTH
were changed to use the shared library, the problem went away.

        Kevin Kofler