Qtractor alternatives revisited

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 18:09:35 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> On 06/24/2012 05:30 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I'm returning to implementing alternatives rather than providing an
>>> upstream
>>> patch at this stage.
>>>
>>> There is only one binary in this package. The only other files are an
>>> icon,
>>> desktop file and a Qt translation. Is it permissible to package only this
>>> binary in RPMFusion and have it require the Fedora package?
>>> I can provide a launcher script in /usr/bin which does
>>> `readlink %{_bindir}/qtractor` so that the desktop file in the Fedora
>>> package will work for both. The Qtractor About dialog states explicitly
>>> whether MP3 support is disabled or not, so its easy enough to determine
>>> which had been launched by the desktop file.
>>>
>>> Or should I provide alternative icons, desktop file and translations for
>>> both?
>>>

>> Hang on there. I managed to factor out the libmad parts of the code
>> into an external .so file, and use dlopen the access libmad
>> functionality. Things work here on my local machine. Now all I have to
>> do is clean up the code and (re)fresh my qmake skills to automate the
>> compilation, linking etc. I'll send you my patch once I am done.
>>
>> Best,
>> Orcan
>>
> Great news Orcan, I was just about to submit my RPMFusion spec but will now
> wait.

Please try out the patch [1]. I admit that I am not the mightiest
autotools wizard. Moreover, the build system made me notice that
autotools combined with qmake converges asymptotically to autoinferno
(tm).

Nevertheless this is a pretty decent start. Rui could certainly
improve the mechanism to make things fit better into his framework. A
few important points:
- The patch is against qtractor-0.5.5, that is the latest stable
version for the time being.
- Both the Fedora package and the freeworld package will need this patch.
- One needs to run "autoreconf" before "%configure".
- In the freeworld package, you can just do a "make mad_plugin"
instead of full scale "make" to save some compilation time and build
dependencies.

Please let me know if eats your kittens, I'll send you a rebate.

Cheers,
Orcan

[1] http://oget.fedorapeople.org/review/qtractor-libmad-factorout.patch