Livna down yet again

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Jun 27 17:19:34 CEST 2012

On 26.06.2012 11:12, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ken Dreyer wrote:
>> Would it be acceptable if we kept the .spec file in RPM Fusion's CVS,
>> but didn't host the actual tarball?
>
> I think we should just move the package to RPM Fusion Free and put Livna out
> of its misery. I don't see any actual legal action initiated against that
> package, so I don't think continuing to refuse carrying it is justified.

The main reason why we didn't include it back then iirc was this (and
note, it's a "long story short" description!):

Some (two iirc) of the main contributors in the days before the merge
mentioned they would not join RPM Fusion if it ships the package livna
still provides these days. Some others (mainly those working for a big
distributor) also mentioned it could be problematic for them.

So it was a trade off between "have the package in question in the
repos" and "have more contributors" back then. The later was important
for the start of the project -- but these days it might be different,
especially as those two I remember are not main contributors anymore.

So even when Livna gets back shipping packages for f17, rhel6, ... it
might be worth discussing the issue again, as I mentioned a few months
ago already. Best way forward imho is someone sending a question like
"would you stop contributing to RPM Fusion if said package gets
included" to all contributors and then decide considering the answers
and all the other available information.