RHEL6 mplayer, vlc and codecs for Totem

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:33:26 CEST 2012

2011/10/5 Colin Simpson <Colin.Simpson at iongeo.com>:
> Hi
>
> I have been using rpmfusion for Fedora for ages and I have recently
> introduced it here for RHEL6. However one thing it seems to lack are any
> multimedia tools. For me these would include mplayer, VLC and the codecs
> Totem looks for when asked to play non-built in file types.
>
> Any plans to build these for RHEL6?

Hi
I've just look back into this email in the long list of unansweared
email caused by lack of time.

You might have found some alternatives for RPM Fusion and EL.
That been said, I've found time to make to work a little on this topic.
I hope to have something in testing for vlc 2.0.2 in the next week.

This remains unsponsored work and really more difficult in EL than in
Fedora, because, one reason among others is that videolan upstream
often push rework that ends to bump requirement of severals core
components (including glibc, pulseaudio, etc).
That been said, RHEL 6.2 is specially an interesting release when
talking to video infrastructure renewal.

Thx