akmods (nvidia) for EL?

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Thu Nov 22 00:11:16 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is that currently we do not implement kABI so we need to rebuild
> the kernel for each new kernel. (which kABI would essentially avoid).
>
> I don't have time to lead the work, but we need to rebase the tools
> (akmod/kmodtool) into devel in order to get ready for later release (EL-7
> eventually).

I was discussing kABI with my upstream project (OpenAFS) and I'm not
sure kABI is the safest option ([1], [2]).

I'm unsure if the problems are only limited to OpenAFS or if other
modules would suffer the same issues. I do know that I've had to
rebuild the ELRepo ATI module to make it work properly on newer
kernels, even though the kabi deps in the RPM made me think the module
should have worked without a rebuild. I realize my experience with ATI
is purely anecdotal, so I would like to hear from others who know more
about this.

- Ken

[1] https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-devel/2012-August/018944.html
[2] https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-devel/2012-September/019125.html