Koji, Bodhi and other sweets

Lubomir Rintel lkundrak at v3.sk
Mon Nov 11 15:38:40 CET 2013

On Mon, 2013-11-11 at 16:48 +0400, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> 2013/11/11 Miro Hrončok <mhroncok at redhat.com>:
> > Hi,
> > I've joined RPMFusion recently and current infrastructurre bothers me.
> >
> > What blocks us from using Koji, Bodhi, git? Is it man power, hardware,
> > money, licnese? How can I help with migrating to Koji and Bodhi and keep the
> > infrastrucutre the same as Fedora has?
>
> We're interested in updating RPMFusion infra as well. Its current
> state simply keeps volunteers away from participating. We should come
> up with a something more modern. I propose to reuse existing services
> - for example GitHub for  repositories.

Sounds like a good idea in general, except for I'd advise for avoiding
GitHub at all costs after years of experience with said service. It
sucks for collaboration greatly:

1.) It has really shitty ACLs
2.) No way to disable force pushes
3.) No way to disable half-hearted attempt at pull request (no way to
cherry-pick things, always makes a merge commit even when fast forward
is possible) processing is utterly confusing to potential contributors
4.) No support for Git protocol (!?)

Apart from that, more on a personal note, they do frequent changes to
their already largely bulky and confusing UI making it really hard to
keep up with it.

For me it's definitely not been a pleasure working with github.
Sorry if the message was too negative.

Have a nice day!
Lubo