Non-redistributable packages: Skype, spotify, ...

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 05:59:55 CET 2013

On 11/14/2013 05:35 AM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Sex, 2013-11-01 at 09:56 +0100, Simone Caronni wrote:
>> On 1 November 2013 02:42, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>>          > I'm going to complain about this to FPC, and if they ignore
>>          the issue,
>>          > escalate it to FESCo. This kind of package has no business
>>          being in
>>          > Fedora!
>>

>>          https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/362
>>

>> Apparently for the legal team this is acceptable. As I already stated
>> before I'm very surprised that it has passed legal review; but if it's
>> acceptable for them...
>>
>> I would feel more comfortable though if these packages would go in
>> RPMFusion instead of Fedora. This way Fedora would promote only 100%
>> free software and all reviews would not have the FE-LEGAL burden.
>>
> Hi, Simone, thanks for resuming this thread, I think lpf-skype is
> welcome to RPMFusion nonfree , and 100% agree with you.
The problem is just that to be welcome in rpmfusion, we must get a clear
statement that the lpf-*  packages are not eligible for Fedora. At this
point, this is actually not clear since the  review (including Spot's
legal check) has approved lpf-spotify-client.

> Doesn't make
> sense to me Fedora promoted nonfree software . Kelvin is right on saying
> this goes against packages guidelines.
>
> But lpf have the capacity to turn around Legal stuff, with
> Non-redistributable software like Adobe flash and it is impossible live
> without flash at least in my world, so Fedora lose many people, just
> because, easily they can't install Non-redistributable software.
>
> I think we should put it on tests on RPMFusion see how it goes and
> discuss this with all Fedora community deeply, because it will be a big
> change . We can't decide this alone I think.

See above. What we really need now is  a fpc decision (#362).  I'm
worried that this decision might be postponed without input from spot.

--alec