Non-redistributable packages: Skype, spotify, ...

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 22:34:18 CET 2013

On 2013-11-18 22:15, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:

> Le 18 nov. 2013 21:52, "Sérgio Basto" <sergio at serjux.com
> <mailto:sergio at serjux.com>> a écrit :

> can re-file
> directly).
> > > >
> > > It basically boils down to that the main lpf package is OK for fedora,
> > > while lpf-* packages as lpf-skype and lpf-spotify-client should be
> in a
> > > 'more appropriate repository' (Don't mention the war...)
> > >
> > > I have retired lpf-spotify-client from fedora. lpf-skype and
> > > lpf-spotify-client are on their way into rpmfusion in tickets 3033 and
> > > 3034 in a joint venture between me and Simone Caronni.
> >
> > I will join in with "Adobe flash reader", it is possible ?
>
> Is it possible to only handle the adobe-release* repositories instead
> ? Unless all thoses adobe packages are really broken ?
>

> Nicolas (kwizart)

It was a long time since I looked into Adobe Reader... are you saying
there are already existing packages out there from Adobe?

If so, it does not fit that well into the lpf framework. One could
download the package, unpack it in %prep and rebuild it it %build and
%install - but doing this without adding value seems strange, and might
also cause legal concerns depending on the license.

OTOH such a recipe might e. g., generate more accurate dependencies if
upstream's are broken. Which, according to my *very* old Adobe
experiences would be as expected.  In general, it makes a lot of sense
to treat an Ubuntu .deb package this way - this is what the spotify
package does.

--alec