lpf-* packages review process.

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 13:32:19 CET 2013

With the lpf package under way to fedora stable and the first lpf-*
packages on their way into rpmfusion  there is an issue with the review
process fo llpf-* packages (an lpf package).

An lpf package is basically a wrapper for  the spec for a target
package. E. g. lpf-skype contains lpf.skype.spec and skype.spec.in (see
[1]).

Formally, when reviewing the lpf-skype package a reviewer should review
the package spec i. e., lpf-skype.spec. However, this is just some
copy-paste code which is more or less the same for all lpf packages.
It's still evolving, but it should be  more or less a non-issue when
reviewing.

However, each lpf package contains a target spec, skype.spec.in in the
example. This is the real stuff, the package user installs after
building it. IMHO, the target spec should be  the real issue when
reviewing. In a short perspective, I'm trying to keep this lpf thing in
a limited number of hands, so this is not a concern right now.

However, I think it's time to formalize this for rpmfusion. Since lpf
packages are rpmfusion only, we cannot lean on the Fedora review
guidelines for this. Even the tooling (fedora-review) is totally blind
for the target package. Which boils down to a simple question: should we
have a rpmfusion rule that when reviewing lpf packages the target spec
and package  should be reviewed somehow (as well as the "normal" spec,
normally a non-issue)?  Or should we just close our eyes, since we dont
distribute the target packages?

Cheers!

--alec

[1] https://github.com/leamas/lpf