lpf-* packages review process.

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Tue Nov 26 04:20:11 CET 2013

On Sex, 2013-11-22 at 13:32 +0100, Alec Leamas wrote:
> With the lpf package under way to fedora stable and the first lpf-*
> packages on their way into rpmfusion  there is an issue with the review
> process fo llpf-* packages (an lpf package).
>
> An lpf package is basically a wrapper for  the spec for a target
> package. E. g. lpf-skype contains lpf.skype.spec and skype.spec.in (see
> [1]).
>
> Formally, when reviewing the lpf-skype package a reviewer should review
> the package spec i. e., lpf-skype.spec. However, this is just some
> copy-paste code which is more or less the same for all lpf packages.
> It's still evolving, but it should be  more or less a non-issue when
> reviewing.
>
> However, each lpf package contains a target spec, skype.spec.in in the
> example. This is the real stuff, the package user installs after
> building it. IMHO, the target spec should be  the real issue when
> reviewing. In a short perspective, I'm trying to keep this lpf thing in
> a limited number of hands, so this is not a concern right now.
>
> However, I think it's time to formalize this for rpmfusion. Since lpf
> packages are rpmfusion only, we cannot lean on the Fedora review
> guidelines for this. Even the tooling (fedora-review) is totally blind
> for the target package. Which boils down to a simple question: should we
> have a rpmfusion rule that when reviewing lpf packages the target spec
> and package  should be reviewed somehow (as well as the "normal" spec,
> normally a non-issue)?  Or should we just close our eyes, since we dont
> distribute the target packages?

Hi,
Brilliant idea !. Second though: I don't believe that lpf is made in
bash, I know that you can do all with bash but so many lines!, it could
be done in so many languages, I prefer Python , but with Perl you could
do much more easy scripting .
About yours questions, of course we have 2 reviews to do for each
lpf-someting, spec.in have to be review and lpf package also, although
could be done in same ticket. (we could review spec.in by running
fedora-review with content downloaded).
Of course we can write some notes on wiki of RPMFusion ruling this
reviews, also good for our organization.
Yes , we need do some rules :), for example seems to me that License of
lpf-something.spec should be the license of something.spec.in , and
others fields too.

> Cheers!
>
> --alec
>
> [1] https://github.com/leamas/lpf