Appstream data for rpmfusion

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 05:14:04 CEST 2013

On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 23:28 +1100, David Timms wrote:
> My understanding is that we can best play a part by providing upstream
> with suitable content that can get used, and included in the upstream
> release tarballs.
>
> I guess that is a bit of work, so if there are any helpers who feel
> like
> having the non-technical application descriptions published via
> appstream info... here is your chance !

I think it's simplest if all maintainers that'd like their packages to
show up in gnome-software write up appdata files and send them upstream.
Until upstream makes a new release that includes the appdata file, we
can just include them as SOURCEX in our spec files.

In any case, the appdata for gnome-software needs to be generated so
gnome-software can list applications available in the repository.

I've already run the process once, as reported in my earlier mail. The
results are here[1]. If appdata files aren't available, it uses
information from the desktop files, but this isn't complete, since it
lacks screenshots and a proper description most of the time.

I'd be happy to package this up and make it available in the repos for
F20, until we can set up infra to automatically generate the info as
Nicholas mentions.

[1] http://ankursinha.in/rpmfusion-gnome-software/
--
Thanks,