Non-redistributable packages: Skype, spotify, ...

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 19:30:14 CET 2013

On 30 October 2013 19:12, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:

> On the wishlist and/or dead reviews we have some re-distributable packages
> such as skype, spotify and msttcore-fonts. After scratching my head over
> these I've hacked some silly scripts , called them lpf (Local package
> Factory) and made a package of it. It's on it's way into fedora, currently
> in rawhide, f20 and  f19 updates-testing.
>
> Using this package it should be simpler to package a thing like spotify.
> The downloader lpf-spotfy-client is also on it's way into fedora, lpf-skype
> needs a review.  The overall idea here is to have a common framework for
> these packages simplifying for both users and packagers. Since they by
> definition don't contain any upstream stuff they go into fedora rather than
> rpmfusion, although they are on the rpmfusion wishlist.
>
> I don't know if this is a good idea. Time will tell,

I can take the review for lpf-skype, I have already packaged Skype a
hundred times. Link?

I have a question regarding all of this. What prevents any kind of non-free
software like Nvidia drivers, Steam, RAR or whatever to go in Fedora with
the same approach?
It feels kind of strange that Fedora folks allowed this, but at least for
lfp-spotify-client it worked...

--Simone