AppData in RPMFusion

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 17:34:09 CEST 2014

Hi,

not that I'd oppose the idea as a whole, but I'm a bit concerned about this
part:

> The AppData metadata includes simple XML files with app descriptions, and
> tarball of app icons.
> They can be distributed in the rpmfusion-free-release and
> rpmfusion-nonfree-release packages and will only add a couple more
> megabytes.

from the user's point of view, even if it is only "a couple megabytes", I'm
not that happy if my precious resources are eaten up by things I do not use
(while not that important on a desktop with unlimited 100 Mbps internet
connection, situation could be quite a different on some mobile device with
pretty expensive mobile connection)

from the developers point of view, I just wonder what will happen with the
icons packaged with the applications - are they going to be moved (i.e. a
lot of cross-dependencies created and some extra work as we'd need to
update two packages), or are they going to be duplicated (how will we
ensure that it wouldn't get out of sync), or what?

K.

p.s. somehow I cannot understand how do the translations work ...

--
Karel Volný
QE BaseOs/Daemons Team
xmpp kavol at jabber.cz