AppData in RPMFusion

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 12 12:18:08 CEST 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Emmanuel Seyman <emmanuel at seyman.fr>
wrote:

> * Elad Alfassa [11/08/2014 19:28] :
> >
> >                              I don't consider 7.3MB a lot, in these days
> > when storage is relatively cheap.
>
> The problem isn't so much storage but bandwidth. Some people have capped or
> slow bandwidth and don't appreciate packages that are regularly rebuilt and
> pushed as updates.

You have to update the metadata *somehow*. There are delta RPMs if you want
to conserve bandwidth.

> I'ld love some data so that we can better make up our minds. How many
> .desktop
> files do we ship? How many of these do we want to advertise via
> gnome-software?
> Etc...
>
> Emmanuel

There are around 126 desktop files in RPM Fusion, some of which we'll
probably want to blacklist (or are already blacklisted by the rules in
createrepo_as).
Assuming an average of 10KB for each icon file this means 1.2MB of icons
(the actual number will probably be smaller).

This is not much, even for people with limited bandwidth.

--
-Elad Alfassa.