AppData in RPMFusion

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 13 10:32:58 CEST 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Karel Volný <kvolny at redhat.com> wrote:

> now I'm confused, as you talked about putting it into *-release ...?

Re-read my message please. I suggested two options: putting the metadata in
the release packages *or* in a separate package.

> so it will be duplicated ... rpm still cannot handle multiple ownership of
> a file?

No.
Your regular packages will NOT install icons to the /usr/share/app-info
folder. The package containing the metadata will own that folder and all
the files with it.

I fail to see why this confuses you so much. Your regular package will keep
installing the icons in the same place it always have, this doesn't change
that.

>  To ensure they "won't get out of sync" you need to do weekly/monthly
>> rebuilds of the metadata and issue it as a regular package update.
>>

> "you" means me as the application maintainer, or someone else who will
> maintain AppData?
>
> "regular package update" means AppData upgrade and not e.g. in my example
> qmmp?

You update the appdata xml that is in your package, and at some point the
appstream-data-rpmfusion package will get rebuilt either by automatic
process or manual rebuild.
"you" in this context refers either to rpmfusion infrastructure or the
person who will manually rebuild the appdata package. Ideally it should be
automated.

As a packager, all you'd need to do is make sure you install your appdata
xml to /usr/share/appdata

> hm, I don't feel any wiser now :-(
>
> I (or the upstream developer) can implement my own way of getting
> translations to the XML files only if I know how it should look like in the
> XML file?
> - there doesn't seem to be any DTD available, and the "File specification"
> doesn't give a damn about different languages handling (except for the note
> that screenshots should be taken in English)
>
> looking at the example:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/appdata/example-intltool.patch
>
> I see exactly _zero_ localised strings
>
> what seems interesting is "+ at INTLTOOL_XML_RULE@", okay, so let's take a
> look how does it work, let's go to homepage: http://freedesktop.org/wiki/
> Software/intltool/
>
> um, no single mention of any such macro, well, in fact, no documentation
> at all? seriously? do I really have to read sources of that crap to get
> basic understanding what does it do?

Crap? Okay, dude, calm down, there's no call for name calling.

Of course you don't see localized strings in the patch, you never put
localized strings in the source files. You do it in .po file. Regenerating
the .pot file will make it have the strings from the appdata for
translators to translate.
If you want to see the RESULT, just cat /usr/share/appdata/totem.appdata.xml

If you need a schema, here it is
https://github.com/hughsie/appdata-tools/blob/master/data/appdata.xsd
https://github.com/hughsie/appdata-tools/blob/master/data/appdata.rnc

Here is another Makefile example
https://git.gnome.org/browse/totem/tree/data/appdata/Makefile.am

But these are things you need as an app author, not a packager. This is not
the place to discuss this thing, if you want you can send a mail to Richard
or to the fedora devel list, I'm sure they'll be happy to assist you.

Furthermore, regarding your concerns about size, the appdata package for
RPMFusion will be less than 3MB according to my calculations. It's small
enough for everyone, we are in 2014, not 1995.

--
-Elad Alfassa.