Packaging 3-rd party repositories in rpmfusion

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 23:04:51 CET 2014

On 2/3/14, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/03/2014 10:03 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Hi!

>>> +1
>>
>> RPM Fusion is something most Fedora users will enable, so IMHO it's
>> the ideal place to give users something at hand to reach software that
>> can't be in Fedora or RPM Fusion for various reasons â EURO " flash player
>> for example.

On  a sidenote, flash is already available as lpf-flash-plugin. But
that's another story.

>> Packages with repo files otoh might not be best way. I guess the best
>> way forward would be a small app that points out the risks and
>> explains that RPM Fusion is not responsible for content from other
>> repos; if the users ACks that let the app put repo file in place.
>>
>> Just my 2 cent because I always wanted something like the above. Ohh,
>> and because my name came up recently in this discussion, as one of
>> those that was (is?) considered to be on the (inactive) RPM Fusion
>> steering committee. Might be wise to set up a new one. I'm fine if
>> those that are most active simply organize something and put it in
>> place, you have my blessing. If that's not enough: if you want a
>> official vote or something else from me just let me know when and
>> where to give what's needed ;-)
>
> +1 to all of the above, I too am fine with some app to enable
> additional repos or some such, I just don't like any form of
> "yum install" automatically enabling new out of our control
> repos.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

Hi,

+1 also from me.  I'll  update system-config-repo to handle packaged
repos in a way forcing user to confirm the actual copying to
/etc/yum.repos.d before it's done. Shouldn't be a big deal, I've had
it in mind while hacking it up.

To clarify, this means that also I agree on that some magic enabling
of an external repo just by installing a package isn't really a good
idea.

Unless there is more input in this thread  I will  update
system-config repo and make corresponding changes to my review
request. Then  we'll see if someone has the nerves the actually do the
review :)

Thanks for all input!

Cheers,

--alec