Bundling exception for CMPlayer

Ben Reedy thebenj88 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 12:14:52 CET 2014

Sorry Miro, I forgot to add that.

 >Has the library behaviour been modified?
The MPV back end to be bundled with CMPlayer has been patched for use
with CMPlayer.
For those interested, the changes made to the bundled MPV can be viewed
at Github [1]

 >Why haven't the changes been pushed to the upstream library?
The developer for CMPlayer has stated that these patches are specific to
CMPlayer, and are incompatible with upstream.

 >Could we make the forked version the canonical version within Fedora?
Same answer as above: the CMPlayer patches are incompatible with
upstream and are specific to CMPlayer.

 >Are the changes useful to consumers other than the bundling application?
No, these changes would only benefit CMPlayer users.

 >Is upstream keeping the base library updated or are they continuously
one or more versions behind the latest upstream release?
The CMPlayer developer is regularly merging upstream MPV commits into
his fork.

 >What is the attitude of upstream towards bundling?
The CMPlayer developer has stated that the bundling of MPV is necessary
for CMPlayer to successfully build and run.

 >Does the maintainer of the Fedora package of the library being bundled
have any comments about this?
The maintainer of the MPV package, Miro Hrončok, suggested this bundling
exception.

 >Is there a plan for unbundling the library at a later time?
Not currently.

Attached is an email reply from upstream concerning the bundling of MPV
with CMPlayer.

[1] https://github.com/xylosper/mpv/compare/mpv-player:master...master