ffmpeg-2.4 released

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 05:35:42 CEST 2014

On 09/21/2014 11:20 PM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Dom, 2014-09-21 at 19:03 +0200, Julian Sikorski wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> ffmpeg-2.4 was released recently which means we have another rebuild
>> coming up. I have done a test and only 4 packages have failed, which is
>> not bad given the extent of API changes:
>> - alsa-plugins-freeworld: pcm_a52.c:101:45: error: 'struct a52_ctx' has
>> no member named 'frame'
>> - dvbcut: lavfmuxer.cpp:63:57: error: 'av_new_stream' was not declared
>> in this scope
>> - kmediafactory: videofile.cpp:74:45: error: 'av_find_stream_info' was
>> not declared in this scope (mencoder needs to be rebuilt first)
>>   - vlc: configure: error: libavcodec versions 56 and later are not
>> supported yet.
>>
>> Given that we are close to branching (?), what would be the good time to
>> do the rebuild?
>
> yes, I don't see any problem, I can do the mass rebuild of others
> packages, no problem.
>
> My question if we ever put this updates on F20 ?

No. If I understand correctly, this is an API/ABI incompatible upgrade
and not an ordinary update. This means, unless there are very good
reasons (e.g. security critical bug fixes), which make such upgrades
inevitably necessary, such upgrades are harmful and should not happen.
Keep in mind, people might build other packages based on your packages,
which might break because of your upgrade.

> I'd like put it at
> least on update-testing.
Sorry, but this can't work.

Ralf