ffmpeg-2.4 released

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 18:46:00 CEST 2014

W dniu 22.09.2014 o 16:57, Sérgio Basto pisze:
> On Seg, 2014-09-22 at 06:50 +0200, Julian Sikorski wrote:

>>> No. If I understand correctly, this is an API/ABI incompatible upgrade
>>> and not an ordinary update. This means, unless there are very good
>>> reasons (e.g. security critical bug fixes), which make such upgrades
>>> inevitably necessary, such upgrades are harmful and should not happen.
>>> Keep in mind, people might build other packages based on your packages,
>>> which might break because of your upgrade.

>>> Sorry, but this can't work.
>>>
>>> Ralf
>>>
>> I tend to agree with Ralf here. Having said that, I believe we should do
>> something about F-20. It is currently tracking ffmpeg-2.1 branch, which
>> seems to be unmaintained [1]. Looking at the API changes [2], updating
>> to 2.2/2.3 should be relatively painless.
>
> Hi, as you may know, I have some difficulties in deal with foreigner
> language (English). IIUC , upgrade to ffmpeg-2.3 in F-20 , also have
> API/ABI incompatible.
> Of course I'm not saying put ffmpeg-2.4 in F-20 without testing ,  2.3
> is tested on F-21 Alpha , I have 2 machines and one vm , and don't found
> any bug .
> For me is fine put ffmpeg-2.3 / x264-0.142 in F-20 updates-testing , but
> as Ralf point out, we are breaking some rules .
>

>> Best regards,
>> Julian
>>
>> [1] http://ffmpeg.org/olddownload.html
>> [2] http://upstream-tracker.org/versions/ffmpeg.html

Hello,

my apologies, I should have expressed myself more clearly. The reason I
was suggesting 2.3 as an alternative to 2.4 is that it is less
disruptive. Please have a look at the soname versions below:

- ffmpeg-2.1:
	libavutil      52. 48.101
	libavcodec     55. 39.101
	libavformat    55. 19.104
	libavdevice    55.  5.100
	libavfilter     3. 90.100
	libavresample   1.  1.  0
	libswscale      2.  5.101
	libswresample   0. 17.104
	libpostproc    52.  3.100

- ffmpeg-2.3:
	libavutil      52. 92.100
	libavcodec     55. 69.100
	libavformat    55. 48.100
	libavdevice    55. 13.102
	libavfilter     4. 11.100
	libavresample   1.  3.  0
	libswscale      2.  6.100
	libswresample   0. 19.100
	libpostproc    52.  3.100

As you can see, the major versions are all the same for everything
except libavfilter. In contrast, ffmpeg-2.4 has the following:

	libavutil      54.  7.100
	libavcodec     56.  1.100
	libavformat    56.  4.101
	libavdevice    56.  0.100
	libavfilter     5.  1.100
	libavresample   2.  1.  0
	libswscale      3.  0.100
	libswresample   1.  1.100
	libpostproc    53.  0.100

Every single library got a soname bump.
The upstream-tracker.org website reveals that no symbols were removed
between ffmpeg-2.1 and ffmpeg-2.3. Conversely, ffmpeg-2.4 has 20 symbols
removed vs 2.3.3.
Finally, the reason I was suggesting moving away from ffmpeg-2.1 is due
to the top of the "Old releases" page [3]:
These releases are not actively maintained and thus we discourage their use.