port of game-data-packager to Fedora

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 09:54:35 CET 2015

Hi,

On 02-11-15 14:54, Alexandre Detiste wrote:
> (reposting message first sent to games at lists.fedoraproject.org)
>

> Hi,
>
> My redhat/fedora skills were a bit rusty (1998-rusty),
> so as an exercice I dediced to port to fedora
> the game-data-packager Debian native project I'm working on.
>
> So far, so good, it's already mostly done.
>
> https://github.com/a-detiste/game-data-packager/commits/fedora
>
> That will provide Fedora recipes to automaticaly build noarch .rpm
> for currently about 200 games; one of my goal is to cover
> all versions of all scummvm games.
>
> It can also download shareware data for doom, quake, descent... games.
>
> http://pkg-games.alioth.debian.org/game-data/

Cool! Do you plan to maintain this for Fedora/rpmfusion in the long
run or is this just a way to exercise your Fedora skills and if we want
to make use of this do we need to find someone to step up from the
rpmfusion community to maintain this ?

> Of course it would be better to have real Fedora users that test this;
> not only someone that run a minimal install on a container.
> (chocolate-doom works over "ssh -X" !)
>
> For example I already spotted that fedora "dynamite" package is lacking
> id-shr-extract program needed to unpack wolf3d shareware;
> but rpmfusion provides "wolf3d-shareware.noarch" sot this is not a problem.

Heh, I did not know that that little utility I wrote for the wolf3d-shareware /
clonekeen packages ended up in the dynamite svn / debian
dynamite package. If you look at id-shr-extract.c it is a copy
of the extract.c from the rpmfusion sources, and it is:

      Copyright (C) 2007 Hans de Goede  <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>

:)

I do notice that they've stripped the rest of the copyright header though,
which said:

     (at your option) any later version.

In the svn patch in the Debian pkg the header is just:

/* utility to extract the .SHR installer data files of early ID software
    shareware games

     Copyright (C) 2007 Hans de Goede  <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>
*/

:|

I guess upstream dynamite may have done this because the rest of
dynamite is MIT licensed, I wish they would have just asked though
(maybe they could not find me as me @hhs.nl email has been dead for ages)

For the record I'm fine with re-licensing this tiny blurb of source-code
under MIT.

> Two interresting dependencies of G-D-P I didn't found in rpmfusion
> are innoextract & lgogdownloader; when installed a setup....exe
> sold by GOG.com can be automaticaly downloaded & repacked as a .rpm

That is cool, what are the licenses of these 2 utilities ?

Regards,

Hans