ffmpeg for EL7

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Aug 25 10:24:53 CEST 2016

On 08/25/2016 10:01 AM, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:

> I don't quite understand the proposition related to ffmpeg. Using
> version in name doesn't seem to say which one should be chosen by
> default for link.
As you probably know, ffmpeg supports versioned executables, installdirs
etc.

Building an ffmeg2* package which is installable in parallel to ffmpeg
actually is pretty straight forward. Building a parallel installable
ffmpeg2-devel, would be more difficult, though. However, provided
packages are being built in chroots/mock/koji, these days, I do not see
a pressing need for a parallel installable ffmpeg2-devel.

> Specially as ffmpeg doesn't do symbol version, if one process has
> dependencies using both version, it will crash.
AFAIU, as long as these packages are properly linked (and not libraries
not being dlopened), package deps on SONAMEs would conflict and thus
prevent such problems.

Ralf