ffmpeg for EL7

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Fri Aug 26 13:11:48 CEST 2016

On Friday, 26 August 2016 at 09:35, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
[...]
> You are still in the "How not to make conflicts" question whereas this
> question is out of interest over "which version to choose for a
> general usage."
> You are still in the false premise that you can have any versions as
> soon as they do not conflict for general usage and let packagers
> choose theirs.
> You have also ignored several of my earlier comments, so I wouldn't
> say courtesy is on your side here.
>
> This discussion has gone wrong, so I'm dropping here.

Nicolas, that was rather not excellent. Please explain why we can't
have any version as long as they don't conflict for general usage?

The oldest FFmpeg branch currently listed on the download page
is 2.5.x, which was branched in December 2014 and last updated
in February 2016. The last major ABI bump was between 2.8 and 3.0.

I do think that it makes sense to ship 2.8.7 and 3.1.2 in EPEL7
and drop 2.8.x when the next ABI-incompatible version is released.
Upgrades between minor versions should be possible without rebuilds.

What issues do you see with that plan? You said it yourself that 2.8.x
is well-supported by the packages that depend on FFmpeg. By the time
of the next ABI bump, I expect support for 3.x will have become
equally good.

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org