ffmpeg for EL7

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Fri Aug 26 17:05:47 CEST 2016

On Sex, 2016-08-26 at 13:11 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
wrote:
> On Friday, 26 August 2016 at 09:35, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > You are still in the "How not to make conflicts" question whereas
> > this
> > question is out of interest over "which version to choose for a
> > general usage."
> > You are still in the false premise that you can have any versions
> > as
> > soon as they do not conflict for general usage and let packagers
> > choose theirs.
> > You have also ignored several of my earlier comments, so I wouldn't
> > say courtesy is on your side here.
> >
> > This discussion has gone wrong, so I'm dropping here.
> Nicolas, that was rather not excellent. Please explain why we can't
> have any version as long as they don't conflict for general usage?
>
> The oldest FFmpeg branch currently listed on the download page
> is 2.5.x, which was branched in December 2014 and last updated
> in February 2016. The last major ABI bump was between 2.8 and 3.0.

Landing here, yes for me make sense f23 version (ffmpeg-2.8.7-1.fc23 )
is well tested

> I do think that it makes sense to ship 2.8.7 and 3.1.2 in EPEL7
> and drop 2.8.x when the next ABI-incompatible version is released.
> Upgrades between minor versions should be possible without rebuilds.

I'm not seeing how we could install 2 versions of ffmpeg (I not read
all thread) but IMO ffmpeg-2.8.7 should be the main package .

I peeked to Orion ffmpeg specs and I think main ffmpeg shouldn't have
versionsuffix , neither alternatives would work here ...

Conclusion, IMHO ffmpeg-2.8.7 should be the main package and we could
build it right now and maybe later also ship one (just one) more
version of ffmpeg (3.1.2) , with versionsuffix if not conflicts, I
think will not have conflicts, but not as alternative
(/etc/alternatives)

--
Sérgio M. B.