ffmpeg for EL7

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Sat Aug 27 20:38:04 CEST 2016

On Sex, 2016-08-26 at 13:25 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> > > Well, I'll give you the courtesy of looking at your specs, even
> > > if you won't
> > > do the same for me.
> > You are still in the "How not to make conflicts" question whereas
> > this
> > question is out of interest over "which version to choose for a
> > general usage."
> I'm trying to be concerned with the question - "What happens when the
> version
> needed for general usage changes?  How can that be done in the least
> impactful
> way by planning for that transition now?"
>

> > You are still in the false premise that you can have any versions
> > as
> > soon as they do not conflict for general usage and let packagers
> > choose theirs.
> Why is this a false premise?  It seems perfectly reasonable to have
> ffmpeg2.8
> to start, and add a ffmpeg3.X when there is a critical mass of other
> software
> that requires it.  And then keep sliding this forward as necessary,
> and then
> when necessary dropping the old ffmpeg2.8, etc. when they are
> unsupportable.
> We're talking 8 more years for EL7 to be around.

The 8 years argument is good but one point is need keep it simple. From
what I see, end use shouldn't have choices, we build applications
against the main ffpmeg , we already have ffmpeg-compat, if in 4 years
we need update ffmpeg, we update the main ffmpeg , if something still
need old ffmpeg we can make one second ffmpeg-compat-2.8 or ffmpeg-3
(if want innovate) but when we need that ? in 4 years, now we need just
one main ffmpeg .

Don't like the idea have the possibility of install lots of versions of
ffmpeg , end user just need one and shouldn't worry about what version
is, your solution is more complicated, may give much more work and I
don't see great benefits.

--
Sérgio M. B.