Kodi

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Sat Jul 23 08:21:08 CEST 2016

On 07/22/2016 11:39 PM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> I saw today, melmorabity built kodi-platform, but packaging kodi
> is confusing [¹] :
>
> F23 got 16.0
> F24 got 16.1 , but git is already in 17 alpha
> F25 build kodi-17.0-0.2.fc25 failed
>
> May I build  16.1 on F23 and respective kodi-platform ?
>

> [¹]http://koji.rpmfusion.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=103

I have built 16.1 for F23.

The rawhide build failed because 17 is now attempting to download source during
build time. This will fail on koji due to no external network access in mock. I hate
projects that download source during build time.

The source being downloaded are modified libdvdnav and libdvdread that Kodi needs
for optical disc reading. You cannot use upstream libdvdnav, libdvdread as there are
differing symbols. These modified libraries also require linking with libdvdcss at
compile time instead of the dynamic loading that the upstream versions do. Kodi
freezes if you attempt to read a DVD without libdvdcss support. I have not pushed a
build with libdvdcss support yet as the current discussion about RPMFusion carrying
this controversial library is still open.

I'm just shaking my head at Kodi's decision to bundle these modified libraries.
There is no reason for it. Optical drives haven't changed and upstream's version of
the libraries were working just fine. Instead of working with upstream or just
leaving the optical disc support alone we are left in this state.