About chromium packaging

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jul 25 03:48:08 CEST 2016

Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> Okay, good news, so we may have the chromium-ffmpeg under review.

It might not be enough to replace the chromium-ffmpeg, you may need a
complete chromium-freeworld rebuild with the enable_proprietary_codecs flag
on. There is code in Chromium itself which hardcodes the list of available
codecs (which is provided, e.g., to websites querying for supported codecs)
depending on that compile-time flag. The GStreamer backend in Samsung's fork
currently has the same issue, which pretty much defeats the point of using
GStreamer. See also
https://github.com/Samsung/ChromiumGStreamerBackend/issues/16

If things like Pepper plugins and Widevine DRM support are not compiled in
(as was mentioned elsewhere in this thread), that would be another possible
reason for rebuilding the entire package. (For what it's worth, QtWebEngine
actually enables support for both of them, there just aren't any blobs
shipped – if you want Pepper Flash or the Widevine DRM blob (which is also
shipped as a Pepper plugin), you need to get them from Chrome or elsewhere,
downloading Chrome being probably the only legal way to get them.) That
said, if you're going to install the proprietary Chrome anyway to get those
proprietary blobs, why would you even bother with the Chromium package? (It
makes more sense for QtWebEngine, which integrates the Chromium/Blink engine
into native Qt applications.)

> (unless this chromium use gstreamer ?)

It doesn't. Spot's package is a package of upstream Chromium without
Samsung's changes.

        Kevin Kofler