Update ffmpeg in F24 to 3.1.x ?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Oct 12 16:15:56 CEST 2016

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> This is not ideal. The ffmpeg 3.0.x branch is not going unmaintained
> AFAIK. We can't push out a big rebuild of a major library so one, new
> package can be introduced into F24.

Huh? Upstream says 3.1 is API- and ABI-compatible to 3.0 (with only one
application needed fixing for some reason), so it should be perfectly
suitable as an update. This is similar to Qt upgrades that have often been
done in Fedora (where there are also a few odd packages that invariably need
rebuilding due to (ab)using private Qt APIs).

Introducing a second package for the new version is a horrible idea, it will
lead to symbol conflicts (in applications accidentally transitively linking
both versions) and a waste of space. I would just upgrade the existing
package to the new version.

        Kevin Kofler