Reverse weak dependencies in RPMFusion packages

Ben Rosser rosser.bjr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 01:09:27 CEST 2016

On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> On 09/03/2016 01:50 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>
>> Dear RPMFusion contributors!
>>
>> In light of https://fedorahosted.org/council/ticket/61 and
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Third_party_software_proposal
>> should we start adding Supplements: or Enhances: weak dependencies
>> to, say, ffmpeg and other packages?
>>

> IMHO, no. This decision is severe mistake.
>
> Ralf

Which decision are you referring to-- the third party software proposal?
I'm not really sure how it's relevant to the situation of using reverse
weak deps in RPM Fusion on packages in Fedora. I think it might be valuable
to have a separate discussion about it though, because it seems to entirely
short circuit existing efforts to provide additional (sometimes nonfree)
software for Fedora-- namely, this one.

In any case, in regards to the original topic at hand, I think it makes
sense to use reverse weak deps in RPM Fusion where appropriate.

Ben Rosser