libdvdcss in RPM Fusion ?

Andrea Musuruane musuruan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 15:56:31 CEST 2016

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 9:10 PM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com> wrote:

> > As a package maintainer and end-user, I think it'd be valuable to have
> > libdvdcss in RPM Fusion.
> >
> > If there is some concern about mirroring, though, perhaps we could
> create a
> > *third* repository for this sort of even more dubious package? Which I
> guess
> > at the moment would just be libdvdcss and anything that depends on it.
> Then
> > mirrors that don't / can't ship it simply don't mirror this additional
> repo.
>
> That reminds me how openh264 is dealt with in fedora.
> Can anyone sum-up the existing methods used by various distro about this
> issue ?

I did a little research.

libdvdcss is Mageia Tainted repository, an official Mageia repository that
hosts packages that they may infringe on patents and copyright laws in some
countries. E.g. most multimedia codecs are shipped in this repository.

It is included in Arch Linux, in the extra repository (i.e. non core
packages).

libdvdcss is not included in Debian, Ubuntu and SUSE.

Debian users must use Debian Multimedia repository - which is not part of
the Debian project but it is maintained by Debian developers or maintainers
and therefore it seems similar to RPM Fusion.
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-multimedia/libdvdcss.git/tree/debian

Debian multimedia also provides libdvd-pkg. `dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg`
may be used to build and install  libdvdcss* package(s).
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-multimedia/libdvdcss-pkg.git/tree/debian

This package is also provided in Ubuntu 15.10+ and it must how their users
must install libdvdcss:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

Debian/Ubuntu uses can also use a VideoLAN repository to install libdvdcss:
http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html

VideoLAN also hosts a repository for SuSE users which includes libdvdcss.

Libdvdcss is already packaged for Fedora in Remi's RPM repository and in
United RPMS.
http://rpms.famillecollet.com/fedora/24/remi/i386/repoview/libdvdcss.html
http://unitedrpms.sourceforge.net/x86_64/repoview/libdvdcss.html

Summarizing, these are the methods we can implement:

   1. ship libdvdcss in the free repository
   2. ship libdvdcss in a newly created repository
   3. ship a package that can build and install libdvdcss in the free
   repository
   4. don't ship libdvdcss and refer to another (non RPM Fusion maintained)
   repository

Maybe we should ask various RPM Fusion mirror maintainers what they think
about and what is their preferred method to ship libdvdcss.

Bye,

Andrea