Akmods run RPM install as service?

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 21:56:14 CEST 2016

> On Qua, 2016-09-14 at 13:16 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I've had a few failures but not really sure as to the cause, but I've been
>> toying around with doing the final RPM install with a systemd service
>> instead of calling dnf directly with the kernel posttrans script.
>>
>> Thoughts? Pitfalls?
> I really don't understand the method here.
> Can you reproduce any issue ? or do you have received informal
> informations that the posttrans script wasn't working for a reason ?
> Because for now It's working fine with me all the time, so there is
> probably an unknown corner case here.
>

> Reproduce, no, but I've had a couple of occasions where I was not able to
> get to graphical boot. I just read about the need to run depmod on a Fedora
> thread. I didn't think about that so I manually erased the RPMs and let
> akmod rebuild them which fixed the problem.
>

> yes , after install kmod you should load the kmods modules , it may work
> without it , because X load it but we should ensure modprobe nvidia.ko (not
> depmod .. )
The documentation has always said that you need to reboot once the
driver is installed/updated (and immediately after).
1/ Because that's easier than to restart any process that have the
wrong (mesa) libGL.
2/ Because nvidia driver use some kind of contiguous memory that might
not be available after the boot.
3/ Because it relies on certains kernel boot options that was set by
the package, so you need to reboot anyway.

> for example VirtualBox instructions:
>
>     dnf install VirtualBox kernel-devel-$(uname -r) akmod-VirtualBox
>     akmods
>     systemctl restart systemd-modules-load.service
It could be possible to use a trigger on systemd-modules-load.service
after kmod-foo will install.
At least it would be a generic way to solve the problem when a given
kmod drops a /usr/lib/modules-load.d file
This should be handled by kmodtool at least. But I would prefer that a
reboot is documented (the less is done on user's back, the better).

--
-