SSL on download1.rpmfusion.org

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 11:59:52 CEST 2016

Hi,

Personally I dislike to enforce https everywhere in repo, but that's
something we should open a bug and discuss. (mainly because proxy
cache is only possible over http)

The way packages are verified is by gpg keys, then either we gpg-sign
the repo (fedora doesn't do that) or we transfert mirrors list over
https (mirrorlist doesn't need proxy cache).
The later is still needed if we want to enforce strict security.

Then about moving https, there is two problems:
- Several fedora based application behave very badly when their
request is not directly answeared (aka server received a 302 instead
of url rewriting of the original request)
- some system will break, specially on bootstrap if the time isn't
accurate while accessing the repos. (ntp generally occurs in later
step).
- we can't use proxy cache over https, right now this is used
internally in the infra to speed up the buildroot creation, so this is
broken right now.

So by the end, I think using https is a good thing, thank for moving
to that, but I'm against enforcing https on the repo.
Looking at the way it's done for dl.fedoraproject.org, you can either
access over http and https at the user choice, so I prefer using the
same.

Anyone (with appropriate previlege) to update the wiki so
rpmfusion-*release package are transferedd over https ?

Thx

--
-