nvidia module not loading

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Mon Oct 3 01:26:54 CEST 2016

On 01/10/16 17:43, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> don't buy crap-hardware?
>>> works here over the last 10 years fine
>>
>> What crap hardware?
>
> hardware which needs out-of-tree kernel modules

Well, when there are full 3D functioning drivers within the kernel that
support all the features of the video card, then that would be great.  I
am using CUDA on this machine.

I tried an AMD card on a computer last year and that was nothing but a
headache and I gave up after a few months of frozen machine and desktops.

>> It isn't the hardware, something about the kernel
>> update that did it.  Looks like the blacklist didn't get into the grub
>> kernel options.  Strange that older kernel in grub menu boots find.
>
> what about fix your /etc/default/grub and get rid of stuff which mangles
> your boot configuration?

This is the /etc/default/grub after adding the blacklist yesterday.
Adding blacklist made no difference.  This is what was in the grub file
going back months.

GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.luks.uuid=luks-2e0ad798-4e73-4b78-a902-7e8d02cf124e
nomodeset rhgb quiet rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off "
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text

>> Most of the hardware is top of the line
>
> i see by the existence of topic

I looked through the settings in grub and they have not changed.  The
previous kernel runs beautifully.  The latest one doesn't.  Machine has
been in use and I have not had time to do tests as I had hoped.  My
other machine is a F23 machine and I will do the updates tonight and see
if the problem is in F23 as well.

I am going to try to rebuild the akmods if I can later tonight as in the
other post.  See what happens and if anything shows up in the logs.

Looking at my F23 machine, there is no blacklist in the
/etc/default/grub either and it works. with the 4.7.4 kernel.

Robin