nvidia 304 and fc23: black screens after updating today

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Oct 11 23:40:28 CEST 2016

On 11/10/16 19:40, stan wrote:
> No expert, and I don't run nvidia anymore, but I'll try to help.
>
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 00:00:00 +0100
> John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
>
>> This is the same system that had nvidia problems during its fc22 >
>> fc23 upgrade.  That was reported here and solved on 30 June.  Since
>> then it has been working well, but after installing the new packages
>> today I get black screens with kernels 4.7.3, 4.7.5 and 4.7.6
>
> What new packages were installed?

Thanks for coming back to me about this.  Because I can't access the
usual desktop features I'm in unfamiliar ground. The system was updated
on 3 Oct and worked.  The update on 10 Oct caused the problems from
which I have been trying to recover.
xorg-xll-drv-nvidia-304xx-304.131-3 was working; 304.132-1 did not.  I
believe there was a kernel update too.

I have been through several cycles of 'dnf remove' and 'dnf install',
akmods-shutdown, akmods --force.  I now have a mockuser defined.  But
most recently the kmod builds were failing and the logs are
incomprehensible.

I have now removed all nvidia packages in the hope of getting a working
system with nouveau.  There's a long thread now on fedora-users about
that, although it has wandered off course.

Currently (KDE) plasma login with nouveau appears normal for perhaps 10
seconds, then collapses to a featureless screen with a mouse cursor that
moves but seems to do nothing else.  ctrl/alt/F2 brings up the tty2
screen as mentioned below, which, without an active window, is the only
way I know to access the file system;  I haven't yet tried an emergency
boot.

startx from tty2 allows login but then collapses again.  Doing it from
tty3-ish says 'Could not start ksmserver.  Check your installation'
which prompts unfriendly feelings but does perhaps give some clue about
what has gone wrong.  But maybe it's because too many screens are being
referenced.  xrandr 'Can't open display'.

>> 'dnf downgrade xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-304xx --allowerasing' apparently
>> completed but then akmods-shutdown errored.  After re-upgrading,
>> akmods-shutdown completed, and the nvidia flash screen flashes, but
>> then all goes black again, for all installed kernels.  I'm using tty2.
>
> I'm not clear on what you are saying here.  What does "nvidia flash
> screen flashes" mean?

the green nvidia logo appears briefly.  I don't think it should do that
with nouveau.  But there's a multi-screen factor here (VGA and HDMI
(TV)) and I saw it only on the HDMI.

  And how are you using tty2?  By default, Fedora
> always uses tty1 during boot.  Are you in multiuser, and running startx
> to get to graphical?
>
>> Xorg.0.log looks ok apart from 'ACPI: failed to connect to the ACPI
>> event daemon' and suggests looking at the ConnectToAcpid and
>> AcpidSocketPath options, which I have not yet done.  I don't know if
>> this is likely to be the real problem.
>
> Unlikely.  ACPI is the power management daemon.  It shouldn't prevent
> the driver from working properly to access the monitors.  You could
> disable any screen savers you have enabled to be sure; if they are
> taking effect immediately it might cause blank screens, even though the
> driver is working.

Thanks,

John