smplayer.spec does not require mplayer

Saša Janiška gour at atmarama.com
Mon Oct 31 11:36:12 CET 2016

Hello,

I’m new Fedora user tesing f25-beta on my netbook and like it very much
(preference over e.g. openSUSE’s Tumbleweed) considering to very soon
switch my desktop (from Debian Sid) to it. Since Fedora does not include
some multimedia packages to which I’m accustomed from other distros, I
have added rpmfusions (non)free repos and installed smplayer in order to
be able to play some videos not playable by Parole.

Now, after inspecting smplayer.spec I see that it contains:

# smplayer without mplayer is quite useless
Recommends:     mplayer

and, no wonder, my system does not contain mplayer.

Otoh, inspecting e.g. openSUSE’s smplayer.spec it contains:

# Either mpv >= 0.6.2 or MPlayer >= 1.0rc4_r32607.
Requires:       mpv >= 0.6.2

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Factory/smplayer/smplayer.spec)

The confusing part is that when I’ve consulted rpm docs at
http://rpm.org/wiki/PackagerDocs/Dependencies there is the following:

“So installing a package containing Recommends: foo should cause the
dependency solver to also select a package that is named foo or that
Provides: foo, assuming one exists and its selection does not lead to
unresolvable dependencies.”

So, the question is why “dnf install smplayer” does not install
’mplayer’?

I’m, so far, very happy with Fedora and plan to fully migrate to it and
installing it on my friends/relatives machines, but, atm, my rpm/dnf
skills are pretty rough… :-(

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person is considered still further advanced when he regards honest
well-wishers, affectionate benefactors, the neutral, mediators, the envious,